Potato is a kitchen-favourite vegetable as it is used in different shapes and forms in a variety of recipes.
It is the only vegetable that pairs well with the maximum number of vegetables available to us, be it beans, peas, cauliflower, capsicum, carrot, cabbage etc.
Boiled potatoes are commonly used to make curries, sabzi, tikkis and the most popular, stuffed paratha.
Here are five different ways of boiling potatoes that you can try and pick the one that suits you best.
1. Boiling method
- Take 2-3 potatoes and wash them well. Now peel them if you want and set them aside.
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and let it heat.
- Drop the potatoes in the saucepan and let it boil on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Now lower the flame to medium and let the potatoes boil for 6-8 minutes more.
- If you want the potatoes to be softer, boil them for another 4-5 minutes.
2. Pressure cooker method
- Take 4 potatoes, scrub the dirt off and wash them under running water.
- Take a pressure cooker and pour 1 glass of water in it.
- Place the 4 potatoes in the cooker and close the lid.
- Don’t add too much water, 1 glass of water for 4-5 potatoes is just enough to boil them to perfection.
- Cook on high heat for one whistle.
- Now lower the flame and cook for 1-2 whistles more. Switch off the flame now.
- Let the pressure release on its own.
- Take out the potatoes, peel them and use as per need.
3. Microwave (with water)
- Wash 2 potatoes and prick them from all sides.
- Fill a cup with water and place it in the center of the rotating plate in the microwave.
- Place the 2 potatoes on opposite sides of the rotating plate, just beside the cup.
- Microwave for 8 minutes.
- Once the potatoes cool down, peel them and they are ready to be used.
4. Microwave (without water)
- This is the quickest method of boiling potatoes and can be done in just 3 minutes.
- Wash the potatoes, prick them at least 8-9 times from all sides and place them in a plate.
- Place the plate in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- If you want the potatoes to be softer, microwave for 1 minute more.
- The difference between this method and the method before (with water) is that in this method, the potatoes will turn out to be a bit drier.
5. Cubed method
- Take 2-3 potatoes, wash and peel them.
- Now cut the potatoes into cubes and collect them in a bowl.
- Take a pot and fill it halfway with water.
- Bring to a boil and drop the cubes of potatoes in it.
- Boil for 12-15 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Once done, strain the water and collect the potatoes in a colander.
- Pour 1 glass of cold water on the potatoes and now they are ready to be used.