Ghana has begun evacuating its citizens from South Africa due to growing concerns over xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals. The Ghanaian government has arranged a special chartered flight to evacuate its citizens, with the first group of 300 Ghanaians set to depart from O.R. Tambo International Airport on Thursday at 05h00.
The evacuation operation is being fully funded by the Government of Ghana, and citizens in need of assistance have been encouraged to contact the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria. This move comes after weeks of diplomatic tension between Ghana and South Africa, with Ghana raising concerns over repeated xenophobic attacks against African migrants.
Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Ablakwa, recently summoned South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner to formally communicate Ghana’s concerns over the attacks. Ghana’s Coordinating Director for Political and Economic Affairs, Harold Agyeman, expressed deep worry about the attacks, stating that “the African continent must be a space of unity and mutual respect.”
In response to the growing diplomatic row, South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ronald Lamola, said his government had engaged several African countries, including Ghana, to calm tensions and reassure foreign nationals living in the country. Lamola emphasized that South Africa remained committed to protecting everyone living within its borders.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation rejected online claims alleging that Ghanaian and Nigerian nationals had been killed during recent protests and law enforcement operations. According to the department, there is no credible evidence to support these claims.
South Africa urged African countries to use existing diplomatic structures to address migration-related tensions and develop early warning systems to prevent situations from escalating. Lamola emphasized South Africa’s commitment to Pan-Africanism, Ubuntu, and solidarity, highlighting the support many African nations gave during the anti-apartheid struggle.
The South African government acknowledged that migration pressures, unemployment, and frustrations over service delivery continue to fuel tensions between locals and foreign nationals. According to officials, South Africa hosts an estimated three million migrants, most of whom come from other African countries.
The government said it was reviewing immigration policies to better manage migration pressures and strengthen border controls. Measures being considered include a points-based visa system, upgrades to the national population register, and expanded deportation efforts led by the Border Management Authority.
Orlando Pirates Face Must-Win Situation Against Orbit College Orlando Pirates coach Abdeslam Ouaddou is set…
Springboks Wrap Up Alignment Camp, On-Field Prep to Begin Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus expressed satisfaction…
Watch the 2026 Cape Town Marathon and 10km Peace Run Live You can follow the…
Kaizer Chiefs Loan Duo Shine at Siwelele FC Kaizer Chiefs players Samkelo Zwane and Happy…
The suspense is almost over for some Orlando Pirates players, as they await the announcement…
The past week has seen widespread outcry over the New Year's Test between the Proteas…
Siwelele FC Coach Seema Wants to Keep Kaizer Chiefs Loan Stars Siwelele FC head coach…
The Pumas and Griquas Rivalry Heats Up in the SA Cup Final The Pumas and…
Victor Matfield Tips JJ van der Mescht as Springboks' Surprise Package Springbok legend Victor Matfield…
Bafana Bafana Kicks Off 2026 FIFA World Cup Campaign Against Mexico Bafana Bafana will kick…
Bafana Bafana fans have been waiting 16 years for this moment, to see our local…
Former Mamelodi Sundowns star Percy Tau and Njabulo Blom have parted ways with Vietnamese club…
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read More