Carlos Alcaraz’s hopes of defending his Wimbledon title have been dashed after the two-time champion announced on Tuesday that he’s withdrawing from the tournament due to a wrist injury he’s recovering from.
Alcaraz, who lost to Jannik Sinner in last year’s Wimbledon final, said his recovery is going well and he’s feeling much better, but unfortunately, he’s still not ready to play. “I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen’s and Wimbledon,” he said. “These are two really special tournaments for me and I’ll miss them a lot. We’ll keep working to come back as soon as possible.”
Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open last month and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome, and then Roland Garros, where he’s the reigning two-time champion. The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open.
Alcaraz has a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha. Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open. He withdrew from the 2023 edition in Melbourne with a hamstring injury.
Alcaraz’s wrist injury has stopped him from continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian world number one Jannik Sinner, who’s a firm favourite to triumph in Paris and London. Sinner triumphed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025, saving three championship points against Alcaraz last year in the longest French Open final in history.
Sinner had previously expressed his disappointment at Alcaraz’s withdrawal from the French Open, saying, “It’s sad news for all of us… you want to play against the best players in the world and he’s definitely the best player on this surface.”
Alcaraz won his first Wimbledon trophy in 2023, defeating seven-time champion Novak Djokovic in the final, and successfully defended his title against the Serb the following year. This year’s Wimbledon championship runs from June 29 to July 12.
By Garrin Lambley © Agence France-Presse
South Africa's 2027 AFCON Qualifying Campaign Gets Underway South Africa has learned its opponents for…
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has confirmed that tickets for the New Year’s Test between South…
## Bafana Bafana's Final Send-Off Before FIFA World Cup 2026 The South African national team,…
The Cape Town International Airport was abuzz with excitement on Tuesday as Kenyan running superstar…
Orlando Pirates Stars To Miss Out On FIFA World Cup 2026 A trio of Orlando…
The United Rugby Championship (URC) has announced its fixture list for the 2026/27 season, which…
Orlando Pirates winger Relebohile Mofokeng has shared his thoughts on the team's recent failure to…
The MK Party has made some significant changes to its leadership, with Nhlamulo Ndhlela being…
Pep Guardiola Set to Leave Manchester City Multiple reports suggest that Pep Guardiola will be…
Orlando Pirates on Brink of Betway Premiership Glory Orlando Pirates' long wait for Betway Premiership…
President Cyril Ramaphosa will confer South Africa's highest civilian honours on distinguished citizens and foreign…
Ten years ago, Mamelodi Sundowns achieved something no South African club had done in over…
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read More