Alcaraz Pulls Out of French Open and Wimbledon

Alcaraz Pulls Out of French Open and Wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz’s hopes of defending his Wimbledon title have been dashed after the two-time champion announced on Tuesday that he’s withdrawing from the tournament due to a wrist injury he’s recovering from.

Alcaraz, who lost to Jannik Sinner in last year’s Wimbledon final, said his recovery is going well and he’s feeling much better, but unfortunately, he’s still not ready to play. “I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen’s and Wimbledon,” he said. “These are two really special tournaments for me and I’ll miss them a lot. We’ll keep working to come back as soon as possible.”

Alcaraz’s Injury and Recovery

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open last month and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome, and then Roland Garros, where he’s the reigning two-time champion. The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open.

Read Also:  Ouaddou and Pirates Still Lagging Behind This Season

Alcaraz has a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha. Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open. He withdrew from the 2023 edition in Melbourne with a hamstring injury.

The Impact on Alcaraz’s Rivalry with Jannik Sinner

Alcaraz’s wrist injury has stopped him from continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian world number one Jannik Sinner, who’s a firm favourite to triumph in Paris and London. Sinner triumphed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025, saving three championship points against Alcaraz last year in the longest French Open final in history.

Sinner had previously expressed his disappointment at Alcaraz’s withdrawal from the French Open, saying, “It’s sad news for all of us… you want to play against the best players in the world and he’s definitely the best player on this surface.”

What’s Next for Alcaraz?

Alcaraz won his first Wimbledon trophy in 2023, defeating seven-time champion Novak Djokovic in the final, and successfully defended his title against the Serb the following year. This year’s Wimbledon championship runs from June 29 to July 12.

Read Also:  Stormers Coach Rejects Sacha Claim

By Garrin Lambley © Agence France-Presse

I am a writer and digital storyteller who shares practical insights on lifestyle, personal growth, and everyday tech. My work blends creativity with clear, relatable advice to help readers stay informed, inspired, and confident online.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *